Monday, February 14, 2005

never, ever the avon lady at your door



Is this, yikes, the beginning of a groundswell? Whatever it is, American Laundromat Records are not only putting the Sisters on their Eighties covers album but also suddenly promoting the shit out of Say It With Fire, and selling it on their site with a special page loaded with critical praise and some cool Jasper shots.

Somebody from pixiesmusic.com is co-sponsoring this effort, and a Pixies-ish-like theme pervades the rhetoric here:
"We just fell in love with The Caulfield Sisters and had to work with them. It was like the first time I heard The Pixies, I was totally hooked." says Joe Spadaro, ALR founder.
I can relate, since the first time I saw Cindy perform (in a very nascent Pee Shy) I felt like I was witnessing R.E.M. playing their first-ever show. Not that I'd been there and could definitively compare the two, but it just seemed obvious that something brilliant was in the offing. (And not to be negative, but aren't the Caulfield Sisters a lot more interesting than the Pixies ever were? I mean, did the Pixies ever do accordion feedback? I don't think so!)

Also:
Fans of Galaxie 500, The Breeders, The Jesus and Mary Chain, and Throwing Muses will LOVE this band.
Along with all sentient producers of carbon dioxide, I'd dare add.

Anyway, bravo to all concerned. American Laundromat can toss me in the spin cycle with their leftover socks any fucking time they want. (And kudos, incidentally, for promoting the use of water-conserving frontloading washers.)

P.S. Speaking of the Eighties album, doesn't the old Pee Shy song "Red Tide" sound a little bit like the Go-Gos' "We Got the Beat"? Maybe the Sisters can sneak in the line: Dead fish laying on the beach! Dead fish laying on the beach!

P.P.S. By the way, it just occurred to me that the Sisters are approaching, or may have passed, their fifth anniversary as a band. Believe it or not, it means they'll soon have been around longer than Pee Shy was alive. Congratulations.


"A quick update. Three Wheeler lasted about a year and now that is over too, but Mary and Cindy have form a new group called 'the Caulfeild Sisters'. We will be playing in New York sometime in March and doing a very small tour in April (Richmond, Athens, New Orleans) maybe some more dates are possible. ... That is all for now Cindy"
2/22/2000 on imusic.com

No comments: