Friday, July 22, 2005

my tongue has turned black from tasting what's not mine



The Caulfields camp has made a new convert. It seems the proprietor of the Music Cherry blog was looking for something with a Mazzy Star/My Bloody Valentine vibe, and boy, did s/he find it:

The Caulfield Sisters definitely carry on the tradition of Mazzy Star and other similar bands. The music is drifting and washed-out (and I mean that as a compliment), and the vocal work is wonderfully relaxed and lilting. Oddly enough, Cindy Wheeler reminds me of Shirley Manson, even though the music is nothing like Garbage. She shares the same throaty lower register sound, and I can also sense a bit of the same rock attitude, even if directed to different ends. The music is like a drug-induced dream, but it does not lack intensity.

On the other hand, can Shirley Manson play an accordion? I don't think so. And based on the lyrics of "Smoking Gun" alone, I'm not sure Cindy likes it when it rains.

No comments: